Nick Bosa’s contract holdout with the San Francisco 49ers is officially over. This is after the reigning Defensive Player of the Year finally agreed to terms on a massive new deal with the team — right in time for the Niners’ Week 1 matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.
REPORT: Nick Bosa Agrees 5-Year, $170 Million Extension With San Francisco 49ers
It was reported on Wednesday that Bosa had agreed to terms with the Niners on a new five-year contract worth a whopping $170 million. League insider Adam Schefter of ESPN broke the news on Twitter:
“Source: Nick Bosa has agreed to a five-year, $170 million extension with the San Francisco 49ers, including $122.5 million guaranteed, by a wide margin. It will make him the highest-paid defensive player in history,” Schefter wrote in his tweet.
Including his salary for 2023, this now comes out to $188.9 million for six years. It was a long time coming, but it was clearly worth the wait for the All-Pro defensive end.
Sorry Aaron Donald, but there’s now a new sheriff in town.
Kyle Shanahan Says Nick Bosa Will Be Available Vs. Steelers
Bosa ended his holdout just four days before the start of the new season. He has not reported to the team throughout the offseason, which means that he has not been able to prepare for the new campaign with the squad.
Be that as it may, head coach Kyle Shanahan has made it abundantly clear that there’s just no way his star defensive player will sit out Sunday’s season opener:
“I mean, there is [some] question because we haven’t seen him,” Shanahan said, via Myles Simmons of PFT. “But I think you guys know how I’m talking. He’d have to have a beer belly and be out of shape or something, which that’s not in Bosa’s DNA.”
Shanahan previously indicated that he is confident that the former Ohio State standout has been working out on his own throughout this holdout. The Niners head coach is adamant that Bosa is just not the type who lets his guard down regardless of his contract situation with the team.