In another standout performance during the Washington Commanders‘ Week 10 loss against the Seattle Seahawks, quarterback Sam Howell was exceptional on the field again, completing 29-of-44 passes for 312 yards and scoring three passing touchdowns. In the 4th quarter of the Seattle Seahawks game, Sam Howell finally found his groove by coming back twice, scoring passing touchdowns to tie the game. The first touchdown tied the game at 19-19 with 8 minutes remaining, and Howell passed for another touchdown to tie the game at 26-26 with just 52 seconds left in the game. Howell seemingly just ran out of time after the Seahawks won the game 29-26 with a successful field goal as time expired.
WOW. Sam Howell to Dyami Brown for the TD! We're tied 26-26 with 52 seconds to go.
— NFL (@NFL) November 13, 2023
Sam Howell Puts His Mark on Washington Commanders Franchise and NFL
In just his 11th career game as an essentially redshirt NFL freshman, Howell’s dynamic play extends beyond this single game, marking a significant presence in franchise and league history, with some of these quarterbacks taking several seasons to achieve these same feats.
Not “Just” 300-Plus Passing Yards
- Howell’s latest feat ties him for 10th place in franchise history with esteemed quarterbacks Brad Johnson, Mark Brunell, and Rex Grossman, all boasting the most games with 300-plus passing yards. This accomplishment underscores Howell’s consistent excellence in delivering impressive aerial performances.
- Impressively, the rising star has achieved three consecutive games with 300-plus passing yards, a feat not seen among Washington quarterbacks since Kirk Cousins in Weeks 14-16 of 2016. This streak solidifies Howell’s position as a formidable force on the field, showcasing his ability to deliver top-tier performances consistently.
Shining Among Current and Recent NFL Stars
- Sam Howell further etches his name in NFL history, becoming the eighth player to achieve four games of 300-plus passing yards in their first 11 career games. This achievement places him in the esteemed company of Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert, who accomplished similar feats in 2020.
- With 2,952 passing yards through his first 11 career games, Howell stands as the fifth-highest in NFL history. His impressive yardage puts him in close pursuit of iconic quarterbacks such as Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton, highlighting his rapid ascent to the upper echelons of the league.
Alongside Washington Great Mark Rypien
- Drawing parallels with Mark Rypien, Howell joins the ranks of the franchise’s quarterbacks to record 18 or more passing touchdowns within their initial 11 career games. This achievement solidifies his status as a key playmaker for Washington, showcasing a balanced blend of passing and scoring capability.
Running Towards Success: Sam Howell Displays Dynamic Running Ability
- Not confined to his aerial talents, Howell’s impact extends to the ground game as well. Eclipsing 200 career rushing yards, he joins the likes of Robert Griffin III as one of the few Washington quarterbacks to achieve 200-plus rushing yards through their first 11 career games. This dual-threat capability adds a dynamic element to Howell’s overall contribution to the team, making him a multifaceted force to be reckoned with in the NFL.
Sam Howell Bonus Video
Here are Sam Howell’s best throws in a 3-TD game:
For More Football News:
You can also reach out to Eric Lazari via email at email@example.com. To read more of our articles and keep up to date on the latest in college and NFL news, click here!